My dear ol’ mom turned 90 August 6th. My mom’s been a lifelong mentor and strong inspiration to me. I’ve had the very fortunate pleasure more than a few times over the years she was an active doctor to catch a glimpse of her treating patients that came to her, usually with very tough diseases. Even as a young kid, I could see how she was always a person first and doctor second by the way she put her patients at ease and treated them as people, not cases. What a privilege to see that kind of real human compassion in action!
Well, Mom’s favorite drink is a whiskey sour, which is actually the first mixed drink I learned how to make. Now, the only hard part about putting this drink together – and it’s really not hard at all – is squeezing the lemons. After that, it’s just mix, stir or shake, and enjoy. For complete step-by-step picture book directions, just click any picture on this page.
Before getting started, here are some quick tips regarding this drink:
1. Rule of Thumb: For every 1 ounce of lemon juice, add 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 ½ ounces bourbon. What you’re looking for in the end with this drink is a full, slightly sweetened but tart “Wah!” flavor. Just great!
2. About “Whiskey”: The whiskey sour is also called a “bourbon sour”. Bourbon makes the best whiskey sour.
3. About Lemons: For the best possible drink, use fresh lemons that are heavier in weight and slightly soft to the touch when you squeeze them between your thumb in the palm of your hand. Slightly soft and heavier in weight lemons should also be juicier and more flavorful than those that are lighter in weight and rock hard to the touch.
4. About ice: Although this may sound counterintuitive, pack a drink like this with ice to maintain its refreshing coolness and avoid diluting the drink flavor.
Preparation Time: about 5 minutes
Ingredients (per 4 ounce drink)
- 2 – 3 Ounces Bourbon Whiskey (depending on how strong you like the drink. Personally, I like the drink about medium strong to enjoy the full blast of flavor from all the ingredients)
- 1 ½ Ounces Lemon Juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Sugar
- Citrus Juicer
- Bar Measuring Glass & (optional) Metal Shaker or Measuring Cup
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
- Long Teaspoon
- Cocktail Glass
Happy Birthday, Mom!