Here’s another incredibly easy salad dressing to make that, just like the other instant dressing I wrote about recently, goes great on just about any salad you can imagine (click either picture on this page for a complete, easy to follow step-by-step picture book recipe). This salad dressing also only requires five ingredients, four of five of which are the same used in the first dressing with one significant difference. Instead of using olive oil or any oil, this dressing substitutes oil with plain yogurt. Now, the thing about oil, even if you’re using olive or canola oil, which are both loaded with healthy fats, is that oil, by definition, is all fat. And fat, even healthy fat, is high in calories, which isn’t necessarily bad unless you’re trying to cut down on calories.
So, right off the bat, as you can see in the picture below, one of the benefits of using yogurt, and especially nonfat yogurt is a big cut in fat calories. The second terrific benefit to yogurt is that it’s high in protein, which is particularly true of Greek yogurt because it has 2-4 times the protein content of other yogurts. Oil, on the other hand, has no protein. And finally, you bet this dressing passes the flavor test – with taste bud cheering flying colors!
To make 16 ounces (2 cups) of this instant yogurt dressing, which takes 5 minutes to put together, all you need is:
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1/2 – 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard (I like using Dijon mustard but any mustard will work)
- 8 Ounces Vinegar (I like using apple cider, balsamic vinegar, or a combination of both those vinegars for this dressing)
- 8 Ounces Nonfat Plain Yogurt (again, I’m a big fan of Greek yogurt because of its high protein content)
- 16-Ounce Jar with a Snug Fitting Lid (I usually use an empty mustard jar, but any jar that’s 16 or so ounces in size will work fine. If you don’t have a jar, no problem. Just use a measuring cup instead.)